Friday, May 16, 2008

The European Roller - in Oman

Coracias garrulus - a buch of them visited Rig 33 today. At first when I saw one flying past with it's flashy blue and brown I thought it was a kingfisher and I was thinking, man! this bird is right out of it's element. Later I saw the bunch of birds sitting near the water pit and had a closer look at them and realized that it didn't look like the kingfisher on a bottle of 'Kingfisher Beer' and so it couldn't be a kingfisher. Just goes to show that drinking beer can be such a good source of information.

So anyhow, I looked it up and found out that this is the European Roller (scientific name: Coracias garrulus) which is native to Oman but sadly - let me quote from Wikipedia - "hundreds, perhaps thousands, are shot for food in Oman every spring".


No comments: