Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Fast and the Futile

......And so, I set my mind to fasting on Good Friday. I had alerted the cook to make me only a vegetable sandwich for breakfast, and Rice and Dal for lunch just in case the rigors of my work environment warrant a meal . The day started well and I went about my business with an empty stomach. All was going well.

It was when Istvan came in with a special sandwich containing homemade pork sausage and fresh paprika that my resolve broke and I caved in. I immediately sent him away with this temptation and I hurriedly ate the vegetable sandwiches earlier prepared to circumvent this prospect. And so I managed to stay away from meat for the day. I have also not had lunch and will not be having dinner. All is not lost !!

And I thought I was the only man on this rig who's fasting. Later I found out that Istvan (muttering under his breath) took the pork sandwich and offered it to Mihaly who also turned it down.

Maybe next year I'll make it through the day.

No comments: